Change of Use of Listed Building to Office, The Tithe Barn, Lincoln
Globe had occupied an office in the redeveloped offices at 26 Westgate for a number of years when the landlord decided to sell the building. This coincided with a decision to grasp the opportunity to relocate the company out of a shared office environment to a facility of its own. Numerous opportunities were considered including a review of Cathedral owned properties that had no occupiers, and which may be suitable. Most attractive of these was the Tithe Barn, a vacated stone building dating back to 1440 but which required a scheme of refurbishment to make it suitable for occupation.
Globe has a strong association with up-hill Lincoln and the Cathedral and accepted an opportunity to remain in the uphill area by agreeing terms on this substantial Listed Building. Prior to Globe’s proposal the Tithe Barn been utilised as a lecture theatre but had stood empty for several years. The building was in need of investment and occupation to prevent it from falling into further disrepair.
Globe dealt with the change of use planning application to enable the premises to be utilised under Use Class B1 (Offices) of the Town and Country (Use Classes) Order 1987. Having confirmed that the local planning authority were comfortable with this proposed use, Globe liaised with the Council to ensure that the proposed enhancements and maintenance of the building would secure listed building consent, before appointing local companies to undertake such necessary works. The Cathedral undertook a range of external repairs and maintenance and Globe led the internal refurbishment which included enhanced toilet and kitchen facilities, rewiring, telecoms and data cabling – all fundamental to meet modern day office needs.
Full planning permission was granted and the Tithe Barn is now the home of Globe Consultants Limited.