This has been a very busy week so I’m only just getting round to commenting on our disappointment at cancelling our Match Day at LRFC last Saturday. We were all geared up on Friday afternoon, guest list sorted, Neil Back MBE our guest of honour ready to run a training session for 35 of the Club’s juniors in the morning, before we all met up for lunch and few drinks, and match.
Best laid plans and all that….
Around 6.00 pm the club officials called to say that the pitch was frozen solid and that the forecast looked like the temperature would be dropping further overnight so they were expecting the referee to postpone the game unless there was a significant thaw. What did we want to do? What should they do about the juniors? What did we think about the weather? We really appreciated the call as Neil and a number of our guests were travelling some distance to join us, but it left us with a difficult decision.
By 6.30 pm after another call to the club we decided to contact Neil and our other guests to postpone the event – not easy to catch 20 or so people on a Friday evening but with the exception of Robert Twigg, to whom we offer sincere apologies, we got thorough the list and let people know.
And the outcome on Saturday …..
Snow, then rain, then sunshine – the pitch thawed and Lincoln won 33 to 5. Great result guys.
We agonised over the weekend but it was the right choice on Friday evening.
Phil has already been talking with Neil and LRFC about another date and we are looking forward to getting out a new invitation as soon as we get a date that works for all concerned. It’s most likely that Neil will come over to Lincoln to take an evening coaching session rather than a Saturday one as I doubt that we’ll manage to get his diaries and the remaining home games to coincide as we go into the six nations tournament. That’s set us to thinking about the possibility of getting people together around the training session – hopefully we’ll get the weather forecast right this time!